Third Reich Berlin Tour
Berlin will forever be associated with the crimes of the Nazis. It was here that the Final Solution was conceived and the concentration camp network was controlled. It was here that most Berliners looked on in horror as the Nazis celebrated their triumphs and it was here that all of Berlin was dragged down with the collapse of the dictatorship.
We chart the rise to power of the Nazi Party and the people and circumstances that made it happen and those who resisted. We track down the traces of the Nazis at their heights of power and terror and visit the final battlefields of Berlin.
As the events slowly pass out of living memory we examine the differences between how the era was taught in East and West Germany and how it is dealt with today.
Berlin had a thriving Jewish community prior to the Nazis coming to power – we examine their fate under the Third Reich as we explore the old Jewish district and Berlin’s re-emerging Jewish culture today.
The most important Third Reich related sites are within easy walking distance of each other in the city centre. If you would like to include some of the more outlying sites (for example the Wannsee Villa, the Olympic Stadium of Tempelhof Airport) contact us for more advice. Typical main sights and themes on the tour include:
- The site of Hitler’s former bunker
- The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
- The Nazi government district
- Albert Speer’s megalomaniac plans for ‘Germania’
- Berlin’s role in the Holocaust
- German Resistance to the Third Reich
- The remains of the Propaganda Ministry
- The ‘Night of Long Knives’
- The former Luftwaffe HQ
- The Kristallnacht
- The Topography of Terror exhibition
- Nazi art and architecture
- The former SS and Gestapo HQs
- The New Synagogue
- The Grosse Hamburger Strasse Jewish Cemetery
- The ‘Stumble Stones’ memorials